- This catalog has no sub-catalogs.
Blackmagic Fiber Converters
FULL DAY HIRE
Blackmagic Fiber Converters
Extend & fully power cameras up to 2 km away using an open standard SMPTE fiber cable!
The Blackmagic Camera Fiber Converter & Blackmagic Studio Fiber Converter convert standard television industry connections for video, audio, power, talkback, & tally into a single SMPTE fiber optic cable. This allows cameras to be placed up to 2 km away from a studio or outside broadcast truck using a single convenient & incredibly durable cable. The Blackmagic Camera Fiber Converter also adds familiar broadcast studio camera controls to the rear of the camera, plus additional connections so you can use it with the talkback systems & switchers you already have. The Blackmagic fiber converters feature 12G-SDI & are designed to work with all HD & Ultra HD formats up to 2160p60. Now you can transform professional cameras such as URSA Broadcast & URSA Mini into a complete professional studio camera with all of the features you need for high end work!
Place Cameras Anywhere
Get cameras much closer to the action!
If you're working in a studio or out at a large sporting venue, you often need to place cameras far apart. While SDI connections are common, the limited range of SDI makes it hard to use it over long distances. Traditionally, you would need to run multiple cables & expensive extenders for power, talkback, tally, video & audio. This makes set up incredibly complex & increases the chances of a technical problem. Now you can solve this problem by converting all essential connections & power into a single convenient SMPTE fiber cable that can run incredibly long distances. That means cameras can be placed anywhere & connected back to broadcast trucks parked outside of a venue or back to a central control room in a studio. Best of all, SMPTE fiber is a global broadcast industry standard so you can use cables & connection points that are commonly available. Blackmagic fiber converters are also affordable, so traditional broadcasters, new web broadcasters, AV producers, houses of worship & educators can all use the same high-end broadcast technology!
SMPTE Fiber for Industrial Strength & Safety
Built in multi-layer fail safe instantly cuts power to eliminate danger
Blackmagic fiber converters work with standard SMPTE 311M hybrid electrical & fiber optic cables with standard SMPTE 304 connectors on each end. These cables feature a 2-way fiber pair, data pair & power pair, along with a central strength member that gives it the needed durability for continuous use. Once plugged in, the Blackmagic Studio Fiber Converter automatically performs safety checks & then powers up, sending an industry standard 200 volts of power over the SMPTE cable for the camera & accessories. This means you can install cameras in remote locations without having to worry about power drops over long distances. Both the studio & camera converters at each end have dedicated micro controllers that continuously monitor power status. The converters communicate with each other to ensure that both a stable optical signal is present & that the power supply is operating within safe parameters. If a damaged cable or an earth leak is detected, the power is instantly shut down to eliminate any danger to personnel.
Add Studio Camera Controls
Transform broadcast cameras into dedicated studio cameras!
Studio cameras are typically operated from the rear of the camera, but broadcast cameras usually have controls on the side of the camera. To solve this problem, the Blackmagic Camera Fiber Converter adds support for SMPTE fiber to your camera along with a wide range of controls & features to the rear of the camera, transforming it into a professional studio camera. You get 2 separate broadcast standard 5 pin talkback connections, 3 return video feeds, 2 extra audio inputs, connections for PTZ & trackers, plus additional DC & D-tap outputs for powering accessories. With all these extra controls added to the rear of the camera, you can operate the camera in the same way as traditional studio cameras!
10G Ethernet for IP Video
Super fast, low latency ethernet link for video, audio & control!
The Blackmagic Camera Fiber Converter & the Blackmagic Studio Fiber Converter use IP video because the SMPTE fiber connection is an open standard 10G Ethernet link. That means all of your video & return feeds are IP video based using high end, lossless broadcast quality 10-bit video encoding & decoding. All other connections such as talkback, tally, camera control & lens control are also converted to low latency IP so you get incredibly reliable performance & high quality. Using IP video means the Blackmagic fiber converters are future proof & ready for customization using high speed Ethernet infrastructure in future!
Blackmagic Camera Fiber Converter
The Blackmagic Camera Fiber Converter attaches to the back of your URSA Mini or URSA Broadcast camera. In addition to converting all of the audio, video, camera control & talkback into fiber, it also adds professional studio camera controls to the back of your camera. You get control for return feeds, dual intercom controls with the ability to mix in program audio, record, focus & iris controls, headset connectors, audio & more. The camera converter also includes a V-Lock mount plate on the top for attaching accessories such as a professional Blackmagic Studio Viewfinder. The Blackmagic Camera Fiber Converter has connections for your Ultra HD camera feed, 3 HD return feeds, full remote camera control, PTZ, multiple channels of talkback, tally & more!
- USB-C Connector: The USB-C port allows you to update internal software.
- 12G-SDI In/Out: Connect the 12G SDI Out from your camera into the 12G SDI In on the Camera Fiber Converter or 12G SDI Out of the converter into the 12G SDI In on the camera.
- Headsets: Two female 5 pin XLR connectors allow you to plug in two headsets.
- Tracker: 10 pin hirose connector, which sends out an additional intercom output & red & green tally output.
- SDI Out: Three SDI outputs allow you to output the three return feeds coming from the switcher to other equipment via 3G SDI.
- SMPTE Hybrid Fiber Optic Connector: Use the Blackmagic Camera Fiber Converter's male connector to plug in the female end of a SMPTE Fiber cable.
- XLR Audio Inputs: Plug in external analog audio from professional equipment such as microphones & audio mixers.
- Molex Connector: Plug the molex connector into the molex socket to power your camera from the converter.
- D Tap Connector: +12V Out to power accessories like an external monitor, up to +11.9V to 14V DC at 2 amps.
- PTZ: The 9 pin PTZ connector allows you to connect to a PTZ motorized head.
Blackmagic Studio Fiber Converter
The Blackmagic Studio Fiber Converter is used at the other end of your broadcast camera chain back in the studio or outside broadcast truck. It converts signals from the remote camera back into standard television industry connections that can be used with your live production switchers, audio mixers & talkback interfaces. It features a high capacity power supply to drive the cable so it can provide enough power for your camera & any accessories that you might add. The studio fiber converter includes connections for tally, two dual channel intercoms for industry standard 3rd party talkback systems, & even a backup engineering talkback channel in case the fiber goes down. You get a main Ultra HD camera feed plus 3 independent HD return feeds with full remote camera control, PTZ, tracker talkback & ethernet, all through a single SMPTE fiber cable. Plus, there is a large 5-inch LCD screen right next to the SMPTE fiber connection on the front panel for monitoring signals from the remote camera. This allows for easy patching & verification of the remote camera function!
Full Size Professional Connections
Standard television industry connections
- Power Connector: Connect an IEC power cable to the powerinput on the rear panel to provide power.
- Intercom / Tally: The 25 pin intercom and tally connectionallows you to connect to third party intercom and tally systems or extend your existingATEM converters to other analog devices.
- PTZ: The 9 pin D-Sub connector allows you to connect PTZ controllers to the Blackmagic Studio Fiber Converter for remote control pass through to the Blackmagic Camera Fiber Converter for PTZ heads via the Visca protocol.
- Analog Audio Out: Four XLR audio outputs allows you to output the audio plugged into inputs 1 and 2 from your camera, and the two XLR audio inputs on the Blackmagic Camera Fiber Converter.
- 12G SDI In and Out: Two 12G-SDI outputs connect the output from the camera to the switcher and also another destination such as HyperDeck Studio for ISO recording.
- Ref In/Out: The Ref In connection sends traditional reference timing from other broadcastdevices to your camera, and Ref Outacts as a loop output.
- USB-C Connector: The USB-C port allows you to update internal software.
- SMPTE Hybrid Fiber Optic Connector: Use the Blackmagic Studio Fiber Converter’s female connector to plug in the male end of a SMPTE Fiber cable.
Dual Channel Talkback
Two dual channel talkback intercoms with backup! The Blackmagic Camera Fiber Converter & Blackmagic Studio Fiber Converter provide 2 dual channel digital talkback connections that are compatible with professional 5 pin XLR talkback headsets. The camera converter even has convenient controls for mixing in program return audio with your talkback headset so you can adjust the volume as needed while talking to the rest of the crew. The talkback intercoms can be used for both production & engineering. In addition, there is a backup channel available for troubleshooting in case the fiber link is down. This backup talkback channel automatically switches over & uses the data pair in the SMPTE cable if the fiber is not working. The Blackmagic Camera Fiber Converter also includes a standard 10 pin connection for tracker talkback, which is perfect when both headset connections are in use & you need to feed an additional talkback connection through to your crane operator.
Links & Downloads: